TUI starts Mobile Social Media Campaign
01/02/2011 5 Comments
Today’s hottest and most discussed topics in Online are Mobile and Social Media. Monday last week I have been to the Symposium “Social Media im Tourismus” organised by the Travel Industry Club. It was interesting listen to big companies and their experience with Social Media activities (whether succesful or failed). However TUI didn’t present anything, but hopefully will do next year showing their results with the “TUI Donnerwetter Jetter” campaign / App.
Donnerwetter Jetter is a perfect case study because it combines all elements needed to implement a great Mobile Social Media Campaign:
- Motivation: bad weather is motivation to travel to sunny beaches (core business of TUI)
- Incentive: win a price which is 12 nights holidays in Dominican Republic
- Mobile: the perfect user interface to collect data
- Check-in functionality: participate anytime anywhere (known from Foursquare & Co)
- Social Network: users can only participate with their Facebook account
So how is it working? Download one of the Apps (iTunes, Android Marketplace), watch the very nice introduction video, register with your Facebook account and then check-in your bad weather conditions. By doing that you collect points. The one who has the highest ranking will win the price. I don’t know what happens if you check-in a sunny day in Germany (subtract points?).
Unfortunately it didn’t work at the time I wrote this article. They had difficulties with the Facebook Connect API, so I can’t tell how it’s working in real conditions. But I will test it over the next days, because I believe this is an excellent campaign. I am also really excited to get results of the campaign:
- How many App downloads?
- How many Likers on Facebook? (I couldn’t find a corresponding fan page on fb, why?)
- How many Check-in’s?
- How many bookings on tui.com ;-)?
Please let us know TUI Interactive!